Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
Do you ever feel like an imposter in your role or position?
If yes, then you are not alone.
One of the biggest challenges which high achievers face is Imposter Syndrome, or the belief that we aren’t good enough or qualified for whatever we are doing.
If you face Imposter Syndrome, you may be telling yourself these things:
– I just got lucky
– I just worked hard
– I’m a fraud and they’ll find me out
Imposter Syndrome is common for high achievers because they are constantly evolving into bigger, more challenges positions or roles which they may not have done in the past.
For example, if you get promoted from mid-market to Enterprise Sales you may feel like an imposter if you haven’t sold large deals to Enterprises.
If it’s your first time leading sales or managing a sales team after crushing it as an IC, you may also feel like an imposter since you haven’t led teams.
In today’s video, I discuss how to overcome imposter syndrome and what you can do about it.
Here are the top ways to overcome Imposter Syndrome:
1. There is no substitute for experience. Practice until you become GREAT in your new role and you will no longer feel like an imposter.
2. Stop caring what others think about you and focus on serving others. When you make it about helping and serving others, you won’t feel like an Imposter because the focus has shifted from you to them
3. Get mentors who are the best at your job or role, and model after them. Not only will you realize these “experts” are often very similar to you, but you will also get a clear roadmap on how to accelerate success in your role.
4. Most importantly, give yourself grace. NONE of us are perfect – there’s no such thing as perfect. We are all doing our best and that’s what matters.