How to play “The Waiting Game” in sales
We’ve all been there….
If you are in sales, you know exactly what I am talking about.
The time period when we’re waiting to hear back as to whether or not we got the sale.
While it’s tempting to run circles around your champion asking for an update every hour, this is the last thing you should do.
I’ve been there many times, and here are my tips on what to do while you are waiting:
1. Create a backup plan in case you get back a no
2. Offer up a dry run with your champion so you can see how they are planning to present
3. Make sure you have done everything you can to win that deal up to that point. If you haven’t, work on filling in any missing gaps such as:
a. Business Case/ROI
b. Implementation and training plan
c. Internal approvals for pricing or terms
d. Send out paperwork for review
4. If you’ve done everything you can up to that point and ran a tight sales cycle, it’s time to LET GO. The source of our misery is often rooted in worrying about things we can’t control
5. Remember, above all else, to KEEP WORKING as this will stop you from obsessing
Hope this helps! Good luck and happy fiscal year end to my colleagues at Salesforce!